The Junior Division inspires and motivates through goal-oriented performance and learning opportunities for students in elementary and middle school, offering young musicians gentle, supportive guidance and perspective on playing their instruments individually and with others. Participants are introduced to the world of chamber music, given the opportunity to learn from top educators in the Gulf South region, attend concerts featuring professional ensembles, and encouraged to seek out instruction and guidance from local music educators as they continue on this rewarding path.
All Junior Division participants are required to submit a video recording for NCF’s 2021 festival.
- Junior Division ensembles consist of students who are in 4th-8th grades during the 2020-2021 academic school year.
- Division determination is made based on the oldest age of any member in each ensemble. For example, if three members of a quartet are in 4th-8th grade and the other member is in high school, they should enter in the High School division.
- Each entering chamber ensemble should consist of 2 – 8 performers.
- Musicians who currently reside in Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida and Texas are eligible to apply.
DEADLINES + FEES
Video recordings must be submitted with the ensemble’s registration.
- Friday, November 13, 2020SUPER early-bird registration deadline
$30 per person
- Friday, February 5, 2021Early-bird registration deadline
$40 per person
- Friday, February 19, 2021LAST CALL registration deadline
$55 per person
Each individual musician is required to submit a registration and pay only one full registration fee. If a participant is entering in multiple ensembles (up to 3), they should submit an additional $10 fee for each additional group. There will be an opportunity to identify the participant’s additional ensembles on their registration form.
Each registration fee covers 1/3 of the cost of programming for each participant. The other 2/3 of the fees are waived to make our festival more affordable. These heavy subsidies are made possible through generous donations. Donations of all sizes are welcome. If you are unable to make a donation, please consider volunteering. Encourage family, friends and employers to show their support by attending concerts and events, and/or making a donation. Donations can be made by check, cash, or online with a credit/debit card.
Please email us with any questions or concerns regarding the registration fee. NOLA Chamber Fest will do its best to assist you with any concerns regarding financial needs.
A non-refundable registration fee for each participant must be included with the registration form. To register and pay online, click the register button and fill out the online registration form via Active.
VIDEO AND SCORE SUBMISSION
Upon submitting your group’s registration, please have one member of your group email the following two items to email@example.com:
- Link(s) to a private YouTube video of your performance. If possible, please provide a separate link for each piece.
- A digital copy or scanned score of your competition repertoire in PDF form. If no full score is available, please send copies of each part.
For information and tips on recording your video, please visit our Resources page. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding repertoire requirements, or submission of materials.
PRIZES (per ensemble)
- Medals for 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize winners will be mailed to winning ensembles.
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize winners will participate in the Junior Division Masterclass with Aizuri Quartet on Sunday, March 21, 2021. Other Junior Division participants may be offered the opportunity to perform in the Junior Division Masterclass.
- 1st prize may be offered the opportunity to perform in the Winners Showcase which has been postponed to a later date.
Included with your registration fee:
- Free access to the virtual Catalyst Quartet performance on UNO’s Musical Excursions series.
- Free access to the virtual Aizuri Quartet performance on the Friends of Music series.
- Detailed comment sheets from each of the Guest Artist Judges.
- Access to the Judges’ Masterclasses on Saturday, March 20, 2021 led by Guest Artist Judges. Junior Division ensembles are encouraged to attend the Judges’ Masterclasses. More information, including masterclass schedules, will be sent via email.
- Results will be announced March 15, 2021 via email, social media, and the NCF website.
- Comment sheets will be provided within six weeks of the festival.
*Now that NCF 2021 is virtual, ensembles are expected to participate in as many festival events as possible.